SC - Chicken and Waffles (was Speculating...)

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon May 15 10:52:34 PDT 2000

> Is this the legendary southern US favorite "Chicken and Waffles"??

> All of the "Chicken and Waffle" houses
> mentioned in these references are either closed, or never really existed to
> begin with.  I am determined to find out why I keep hearing about it (I
> believe it is an African-American favorite).  If anyone has any information
> on this topic, please respond to me, privately if you like, to save bandwidth.
>
> Balthazar of Blackmoor

These posts about a chicken gravy over waffles are new to me. I have seen
a few cooking shows about "Chicken and Waffles" in restaurants, starting
in a famous Harlem establishment and now served in a few other ethnic
style restaurants around the country. But from what I've read and seen has
consisted of regular waffles, with syrup and butter, served with fried chicken.
Sometimes another menu item is waffles with chicken liver gravy. I've never
seen any restaurant serve waffles with a chicken gravy.

But now I think I'm going to make up a batch and freeze it to use in camp
at Steppes Warlord with dutch oven biscuits. Mmmmm.

Thanks for the information.

Yers,

Gunthar