SC - Eggs graven with Vinegar

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Tue May 16 02:32:48 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/16/2000 12:05:46 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
morgancain at earthlink.net writes:

> Probably they could not figure out how necessarily it happened.

They knew how it happened, they just couldn't stop it. Neither can we without
stringent sanitation, which is why you have a pickle crock and a brewing
crock and never the twain will meet if you're smart. Some people don't even
have their vinegar mother working in the same room as their wines and beer,
and some people won't have it in their house at all.

> I know there is "mother of vinegar" which may be one of those bacterial
clumps,
>  used to start the vinegar.  And my Etymological OED version talks of
vinegar
>  as being produced by a form of fermentation ("acetous").

Vinegar can be made from any dilute alcohol, which makes wine and beer ideal
for the purpose. we keep the vessels we make said potables in sealed to
prevent contamination form the air and fruit fly like creatures we refer to
as "vinegar flies" from getting to our brew and infecting it with acetic acid
bacteria.

I too have seen numerous recipes on how to use wine or beer that has gone to
vinegar, which is a completely natural process. I too will be looking for
examples shortly. Don't expect it quickly though, lots of other projects in
the offing.

Yes, sometimes it turned to something vile, but like people who can make
sourdough bread easily in their own kitchen, there are some people who have
the requisite bacteria present in their own homes to make vinegar. If they
take up home brewing then they find this out very quickly. No doubt there
were people in period that learned that if you put vinegar mother into a wine
you got vinegar eventually, and started an industry. There were just as many
people that were dismayed when they found vinegar mother growing in their
potables I imagine, and cookbook writers to tell them what to do with it.

Corwyn