SC - Emeril on medieval cooking, Regards Dunton's book

Daniel Phelps phelpsd at gate.net
Tue May 16 19:39:55 PDT 2000

Was written:

>The potage recipe came from the Mallinkrodt translation of Platina; the
>bread recipes came from Black's The Medieval Cookbook; and the "Maid of
>Honor cakes" came from Dutton's Good Fare and Cheers of Old England.
(Anyone
>know this book???)

Got a copy of Dunton's, it is definitely the lightest reference of the
three.  No bibliography, very little in the way of reference to anything at
all in period, most of the history mentioned is quite clearly post period.
The Maids of Honour recipe is attributed in a footnote to "Andre L. Simon,
Guide to Good Food and Wines"

The full reference for the book is "The Good Fare and Cheer of Old England"
Joan Parry Dutton, Reynal & Company, New York, 1960.  I don't remember when
or where I got it but a notation in the fly leaf has it marked down from 39
to 25 cents.

Daniel Raoul