SC - Folger Library URL

Ann Sasahara ariann at nmia.com
Tue May 16 19:47:55 PDT 2000

Greetings

Library Main page:  www.folger.edu and select "museum shop" link

or go straight to The Museum shop: www.Shakespeare-etc.org/

the link you want is called "go shopping"
select "Exhibit catalogs" and there you are! :-)

When I got the book I was surprised there were two appendices as a bonus.
The first one is Sara Long's Receipt Book" from 1610.  It has cake, rice
pudding and other recipes.  The second is 3.5 pages of instructions on how
servants should "serve" in a great and noble houses.

Farther down the exhibit page is a small pamphlet that I also bought
from a 1997 exhibit called "The Housewife's Rich Cabinet".  The date
that comes to mind is 1707 or something like that.  For $7.95 it's
reasonable.  Inside, there are recipe cards on preserving gilly flowers
and the like. There were nice herbal designs on the cards.  The booklet is
138 pages of preserving and conserving things around the house.  There is
also an entertaining recipe for making a fake claret of courrants,
raspberry juice and bread w/ mustard.

On the Museum Shop page there is also a section on "women".  I picked up
"The English Housewife" for 19.95.  It's not listed on Amazon.com.  Both
sites list "The Tudor Housewife" at the same price.  I decided Folger
needed my patronage more than Jeff Bezos & co.  My books arrived 11 days
later and I was happy.

The Folger/Shop sites are pretty fun to visit.  I think I spent over an
hour there looking at all the books and CDs.

YIS,

Ariann