SC - Re:Authenticity Buffs

Aelfwyn at aol.com Aelfwyn at aol.com
Thu May 18 09:52:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/18/00 8:43:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Lee-Gwen Booth"
<piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au writes:

<< I was talking with someone about an upcoming event about the games I would
 be bringing - I mentioned a few and then said something about having
 dominoes even though I am not sure that they are actually Period.  He
 responded with something like "that's okay, it is still fun to play them, I
 will bring mine too.  There will be lots of newcomers at the event so the
 important thing is that they enjoy themselves".  I really couldn't get
 through to him that it is even more important to be careful about passing
 things off as Period when there are newcomers present.  I wonder where I
 could have picked up this new interest in Period accuracy......

LOL! I am having the same problem with an event scheduled for June 11. It is
geared just toward encouraging newbies and introducing the SCA. The autocrat
has a "dessert contest" planned with categories like best use of chocolate.
Groan. I tried to suggest that she gear the contest towards use of period or
at least peri oid recipes, but was met with the ever popular "Oh, real
medieval stuff is too hard. We want to encourage these newbies to have fun."
Double groan. And this autocrat is a member of our new Cooks' Guild. Triple
groan.
Aelfwyn