SC - help with Elizabethan feasts plans Requested

UnruhBays, Melanie A UnruhBays.Melanie.A at broadband.att.com
Thu May 18 13:07:28 PDT 2000

I *highly* recommend BANQUETING STUFF. It's been my primary (not a "Primary"
source)source for the two Elizabethan banquets that I've done. When it comes
to decorating food (and decorative food) this is a wonderful book.

Now some caveats - it's expensive ($31 US, if I remember correctly for a
rather small book), the dry measures are in ounces which really threw Rivka
and me for a loop in the wafer recipe (I really *must* get that kitchen
scale), and the recipes and practices cross over *way* in to the late 17th
and 18th centuries. Just be careful and read everything carefully.

On the other hand, it's a great resource not only for the recipes, but for
the entire practice of banqueting in the very late part of our period. It
also relates some of the most interesting social background surrounding the
banqueting practice, and more background on the profusion of cookbooks that
appeared in the late 1500s and early 1600s.

Now I have to get THE APPETITE AND THE EYE.... Thanks, Stefan!

Maredudd

http://www.florilegium.org ****