SC - Re: Medieval Times

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri May 19 03:19:44 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/18/00 6:23:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ringofkings at mindspring.com writes:

> I have often considered going to these Medieval Times-like
>  dinner shows, but just can't get over paying so much for
>  a lousy meal and watch rehashed Rennie jousting.

If you have never been, how can you say the food is lousy, and the fighting
rehashed?  I would suggest that you take in at least one show, funds
allowing.  It is a lot of fun, if you can turn off the Holier-than-Thou,
My-Garb-Is-Better-Than-Your-Garb shtick, and appreciate it for what it is.

>  Why should I go in garb
>  that is more period than the actors, walk around (unpaid)
>  doing the same thing as the "colour" actors and then endure
>  criticism that my garb is not Rennaissance.

Not to pick nits or anything, but you don't have to go in garb.  As a matter
of fact, you would probably get quite a few odd glances if you did (you know,
kind of like the glances some SCA folks give mundanes when they show up to an
event without garb??)

 As for your garb being completely period, kudos to you.  However, do you
know for certain that the folks who made the fabric, linen, leather and such
used period methods and dyes during fabrication?

Bal

Complacency Breeds Contempt