SC - Substitutions

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Sat May 20 05:55:10 PDT 2000

Elizabeth kindly wrote:

>I can't think of any period recipes where walnuts are
>suggested as a possible substitution for almonds-

I can. Platina (Milham's translation).

"Garlic Sauce with Walnuts or Almonds. Add to
semicrushed almonds or nuts as much as you
want of clean garlic, and grind best at the same
time, as is sufficient, sprinkling continually with
a bit of water so it does not produce oil. Put into
the ground ingredients bread crumbs softened in
meat or fish stock, and grind again. If it seems too
hard, it can be easily softened in the same juice.
It will keep very easily to the time we mentioned
for mustard. My friend Callimachus is very greedy
for this dish, even though it is of little nourishment,
delays a long time in the stomach, dulls the vision
and warms the liver (Milham, pg. 359)"

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is in the
Miscellany, no? :)

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba
iasmin at home.com