SC - butter usage

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Sat May 20 08:54:48 PDT 2000

Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Offhand, I'm not aware of any other clear reference from a period source
> as to what, exactly, was done with butter, other than appearing in
> various non-meat-day menus and dishes, as an ingredient.

breakfast.  How, or with what, I have no idea, but Plat speaks of eating it for
breakfast.  I have included most of Plat's section on butter, specifically how to
change the taste and color of butter, plus the bit on clarifying it.  (Nothing on
honey though.  ;<)

Hugh Plat _Jewel-house of Arte & Nature_ 1594

2. How to make sundry sorts of most dainty butter with the saide oils

[refers to earlier section on distilling essential oils]

 In the month of May, it is very usuall with us to eat some of the smallest, and
youngest sage leaves with butter in a morning, and I think the common use thereof
doth sufficiently commende the same to be wholsome, in stead whereof all those
which delighte in this heabe may cause a few droppes of the oile of sage to be
well wrought, or tempered with the butter when it is new taken out of the cherne,
until they find the same strong enough in taste to their owne liking; and this
way I accoumpt much more wholsomer then the first, wherin you will finde a far
more lively and penetrative tast then can be presently had out of the greene
herbe.
 This laste Sommer I did entertaine divers of my friends with this kinde of
butter amongst other country dishes, as also with cinnamon, mace, and clove
butter (which are all made in one selfe same manner) and I knew not whether I did
please them more with this new found dish, or offend them by denying the secret
unto them, who thought it very strange to find the naturall taste of herbs, and
spices coueied into butter without any apparent touch of color.  But I hope I
have at this time satisfied their longings.  2re, if by som means or other you
may not give a tincture to your creme before you chearne it, either with
roseleaves, cowslep leaves, violet or marigold leaves, &c. And thereby chaunge
the color of your butter.
 And it may be that if you wash your butter throughly wel with rose water before
you dish it, and work up some fine sugar in it, that the Country people will go
neere to robbe all Cocknies of their breakfasts, unlesse the dairie be well
looked unto.  If you would keepe butter sweete, and fresh a long time to make
sops, broth or cawdle, or to butter any kinde of fishe withall in a better sorte
then I have seene in the best houses where I have come, then dissolve your butter
in a clean galsed, or silver vessell & in a pan, or kettle of water with a slow
and gentle fire, and powre the same so dissolved, into a bason that hath some
faire Water therein, and when it is cold, take away the soote, not suffering any
of the curds, or whey to remain in the bottome: and if you regarde not the charge
thereof, you may either the first or the second time, dissolve your Butter in
Rosewater as before, working them well together, and so Clarifie it, and this
butter so clarified, wil bee as sweet in tast, as the Marrow of any beast, by
reason of, the great impuritie that is remooved by this manner of handeling:

[rest snipped]

Hope you enjoyed this,
- -Magdalena