SC - Potatoes and other new worlde foods as subleties

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Mon May 22 06:25:56 PDT 2000

Don't know about corn...I've never seen a recipe for that.  However, I used the
following VERY YUMMY recipe at my recent feast (from Dining with William
Shakespeare)

Stewed Potatoes

1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes
1 pound tart cooking apples
5 tbsp. Brown sugar
¼ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ginger
4 tbsp. Butter, diced
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
¼ cup candied orange peel, diced

Bake the potatoes in their dkins for 30 minutes at 400?.  Peel them and cut them
into thin slices.  Core and peel the apples and slice them thin.

Mix 3 tbsp. of the sugar with the cinnamon and ginger.  Butter a casserole with
one tbsp. of the butter and put a layer of sliced apples into it.  Sprinkle a
little of the sugar-spice mixture and bits of diced butter over them.  Cover with
a layer of sliced potatoes, sprinkle a little of the sugar-spice mixture and dot
with butter.  Continue layering apples and potatoes as abofve until all are in
the casserole.

Pour the wine vinegar over the top and sprinkle with the remaining two tbsp. of
sugar.  Cover and bake at 350? for 40 minutes or until the potatoes and apples
are tender.  Dot the dish with candied orange peel and serve hot.

 I don't have the original down here in my office at the moment, but if you want
it, I can send that in a later post.

Hope this helps!  Folks at our feast really loved this.

Kiri