SC - Creme' Bastarde

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon May 22 21:23:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 9:07:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LadyPDC at aol.com
writes:

>  Just curious as to how this A&S entry could have been made more
>  >  period..
>  >
>  >  Balthazar of Blackmoor
>  >

>  Actually, the A&S entry was the pastry castle (for which I hand ground
> bulgar
>  wheat and made my own butter and goat cheese and lard).  The foods within
> the
>  castle were simply there to demonstrate how it could be used.
>
>  But I thank you,  I was at loose ends as to where I should research next.
>  Now I have a lovely project.  "Ice and refrigeration in the middle ages"
>  What fun,  wonder what I will find???  Anyone have any resources to
suggest??
> ?

I hope no one thought I was belittling the A&S entry discussed, because that
was not my intention.  I stand in awe of the efforts the author underwent to
create it.

However, I have often wondered, for my own piece of mind, how medieval cooks
kept things such as dairy products and eggs cool.  Thanks to all for the
information provided.  It makes sense.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt