SC - Ice

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Mon May 22 22:11:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 11:41:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

<<
 Although I don't have the references immediately handy, ice houses were
 common throughout the middle east during period. They were also common
 throughout the Western world until the invention of refrigeration. Ice
blocks
 are simply cut out of lakes and ponds in the winter and stored in ice houses
 in saw dust, etc., throughout the year. Such blocks literally keep for
months
 before melting. I think that Food in History or The History of Food has a
 segment dealing with this subject. Any large manor house would have had its
 ice house and commercial ice houses also existed.

 Ras >>
    There is also an Elizabeth David book called, I believe, Harvest of the
Cold Months (My copy is loaned out), that deals with the subject in detail.
Fascinating book! I haven't re-read it in a while, but I think the evidence
she has shows the notion of ice houses moved from the Middle East to the West
pretty late in period, and that ices--or maybe it was actual ice cream?--were
developed slightly post-period for the SCA. Anyone out there read this more
recently and able to comment on it?

                    Ldy Diana