Honey (Was SC - Ice)

CorwynWdwd at aol.com CorwynWdwd at aol.com
Thu May 25 00:29:51 PDT 2000

"Unprocessed" honey has a tendency to crystallize. I can only assume that
cold would speed this along, as gentle heat will rapidly reliquefy it. I
don't know that either condition will affect "freshness" of honey.

Processed honey doesn't crystallize as easily, which is apparently the point.
Get rid of all the pollen and other "thingies" in natural honey and there's
nothing for crystals to condense onto. Of course you get rid of much of the
flavor too.

Crystallized honey is a yummy spread though, I sometimes feel a little guilty
when friends want to throw out crystallized honey because it's "gone bad" and
I offer to dispose of it for them... but I have explained it to people
before, about half still want to get rid of it, go figure.

The point (and I have one) being that temperature doesn't really effect
honey's freshness. I think it's just that the cellar was where everything
went.

Corwyn