SC -

margali margali at 99main.com
Thu May 25 10:33:32 PDT 2000

woof, woof!
;-)
How about the tradition of paying rents in pepper that used to be common
in the british isles-any idea when it started?
margali

Depends on where and when your talking, but
the odds of Odo the ploughman ever having a coin of his very own,
particularly in the Feudal era, are pretty long.  Think barter.  Spices
were
used for barter/trade, yes.  So in that respect they were 'currency.'
Have
I found any evidence that in any given place and time spices had
specific
defined value for use in trade such as metal and inked paper now do?  No
have not.  Now I'm off to the IV caffeine drip.

Feeling like the dog Lycos, Puck