SC - Looking for His Grace...

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri May 26 23:23:52 PDT 2000

Balthazar of Blackmoor answered my message about ink info with:
> stefan at texas.net writes:
> > Maybe you already have all the info you need, but some of the files in
> >  the Florilegium might be useful in creating your book. Take a look at
> >  these files in the SCRIBAL ARTS section:
> >  inks-msg          (40K) 11/16/99    Period and SCA inks for calligraphy.
> >    (Oak gall ink is probably your best bet. I've been collecting some
> >  small ones from my oak trees to try this sometime.
>
> I'll be sure to check out these files after work tomorrow night.  One
> question, though:  does anyone know where to get oak gall?  This is the
> second mention of it for me, and I don't know a) what it is, and b) where to
> get it.  Help?

Oak galls are little hollow wooden balls that form on oak twigs. They
are formed when a little insect (larvae?) bores into the twig. The
tree then covers the area with bark and concentrates tannic acid there
to try to kill the invader. Since tannin is what you are looking for,
these are a good source and were used for making ink in the Middle
Ages. More details can be found in the inks-msg file given above.

As to a source, I gave you in the part of this comment you snipped
off the only merchant I know of who carries these. Hers are about
an inch to two inches in diameter and are imported from Europe. Mine
are only about half an inch in diameter and probably not as good.
But mine are free. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net