SC - Almond Milk, Again

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Sat May 27 13:38:12 PDT 2000

.>>It does help to grind the nuts in a coffee/spice grinder, rather than a
blender or food processor, though--you get a much finer grind, which reduces
the  detectability of the skins.........

>>                 Ldy Diana
>
>  I've never made almond milk, and these questions have made me realize I'm
not quite sure just what is meant by "grinding" the almonds.  I would have
assumed that using a blender (which I have) or food processor (which I
don't) would produce something like almond butter.  Is that the case?
>Sandra Kisner

    Having made almond milk fort the sweet dish  *Hony Douse*  for the past
Crown Tourney,  I can share my experiences.
I used my  food processor.  It ground the nuts up nicely,   adding water to
the nuts,  about a cup at a time,  and straining the liquid off,  the
almonds became finer & finer ground.  Went from pieces to fine meal.  I used
8 oz. (weight) of almonds for 2 quarts of "milk" .    I froze the almond
milk for 2 weeks,  and the texture/ flavor was fine.    I have yetr to have
the almonds become "butter"  tho, the addition of water, and straining off
the liquid  -- including the nuts' oil  --  may have something to do with
that.

Caointiarn