SC - Recipe for Bean Burgers

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon May 29 18:22:18 PDT 2000

Gwynydd gave a (non-period) recipe for vegie-burgers.

A few questions:

> Burger Mix
> 1/2 cup chick peas
> 1/2 cup soybeans
> 1/2 cup peanuts (raw) or sunflower kernels

Why raw? The salt? If so, would unsalted work?

> 1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds
> 1/2 cup rolled oats
> 1/4 cup pea flour
> 1 tbl parsley [I suggest dried, or add it just before use]
> 1 tsp salt
> Optional: [nonsense!!!] 1/4 cup wheatgerm

"nonsense" to use this? Or "nonsense" to not use it?

> 1 tbl nutritional yeast

> Measure the first four ingredients into a bowl and mix together.  Using a
> blender or food processor (we found the coffee-grinder attachment of our
> food processor to be the most effective)

Coffee grinder attachment? Guess I better go back and look at the pssible
accessories. I know there isn't one with mine right now.

> Making Burgers
> for 2 10cm burgers
> 1 cup burger mix
> 1/2 cup water
> 2 tsp dark soya sauce

"Soya" sauce? What this? Is this the same as "soy" sauce"?

> Note:
> Other bean varieties may be used in place of chick peas and soy beans, but
> kidney beans should be avoided.

Any idea why kidney beans should be avoided?

Thanks. I'll have to think about trying this sometime. I should cut
back on my protein intake, but I LIKE meat.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net