SC - Marmite

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon May 29 21:16:56 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/29/00 9:09:19 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

>   Really?  I have one of those that I picked up at a flea market years
>  ago, and we use it for a drink dispenser at large functions.  Is there a
>  specific use for this pot, and do you know where and when it was popular?
>   Do you actually think it was for the making of the paste?
>   I tell you what, the things you learn on this list will just amaze
>  you...

Actually, the marmite you have was used for clarifying stock (if it's the
same thing I'm thinking of), and is probably not period.  I could be wrong,
though.  The raw, cold stock is placed in the pot, and then a "clearmeat" of
lean meat, egg whites and an acid ingredient is stirred into it.  As it is
brought slowly up to a simmer, the "clearmeat" begins to rise and congeal at
the top, grabbing up all of those little bits of protein and what-not which
cloud a raw stock.  The perfectly clear stock is then drawn off from the
spigot at the bottom of the marmite.  By the way, if your stock is of very
good quality to begin with, you now have consomme.  Easy, right?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?