SC - Kingdom A&S

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Tue May 30 09:53:32 PDT 2000

On Tue, 30 May 2000 06:19:43 -0600 Sue Clemenger <mooncat at in-tch.com>
writes:
> Well, congratulations on your incipient Laurel-hood! Sounds like
> quite a weekend! Let me know when it happens, and I can send you info
on
> joining us on the Laurels' List, if you like....
	Thank you very much.  As far as the Laurel's list goes, I'm not sure,
are they as talkative as Cooks?

> Couple of questions from someone out of your kingdom....What do you
> mean when you say a "masterwork?" Is this a special type of entry? And
> what is the "Patron of Arts" thing that you're referring to?
> --Maire, who's always looking for things to suggest to our MoAS in
> Artemisia....

	The way we score here in Meridies is based on an individual merit
system.  Points are added for the various scores each individual entry
gains.
0 Points for an Honorable Mention, 1 Point for a Notable, 2 Points for an
Excellent, 3 Points for a Superior.   In the last couple of years, they
have added the Masterwork category, which garners a whopping 5 Points.  I
know that Trimaris has had something like this for years, they call it a
Non Parielle (not the little chocolate candy with white sprinkles).
Basically, it is for pieces above and beyond, as close to perfect as
humanly possible.  I have not seen a really good definition of what the
criteria are, as there are for the Notable, Excellent, and Superior
categories.  It is a tough one to call, because there are many categories
(like food and music) where the results are quite fleeting, and harder to
make a lasting impact with.
	There were quite a few food entries there, someone even did the Very
Large Egg recipe.  I'm not sure who did it, as I never saw a name, but I
would bet a nickle its somebody on this list, so hopefully they'll speak
up.
	The Patron of the Arts is the group that scores the highest point
totals, which are averaged in.  My Barony had 20 entries, with a total
average of 2.55, which means most of our entries recieved Superiors, with
a few Excellents thrown in.  When we won last year, our combined average
was just over 2.0, so we did very well this year.  There is an individual
point total winner, named the Champion of the Arts.  They also had a
heavy-weapons tournament, which decided a Defender of the Arts, and a
rapier tourney that decided a Rapier Defender of the Arts (the rapier
tourney was held on Sunday, and the Laurel judges gave points based on
Artistic Expression, Technical Prowess, and some other silly thing, they
were encouraged to play off each other, and it looked like everyone had a
great time.)
	For more detailed information, I would reccommend you visit
meridies.org, and follow the links to the A&S office.
	Christianna