SC - Almond Milk, Again

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue May 30 16:00:23 PDT 2000

>To make almond butter you run the "milk" through the almonds several times
as they are grinding, getting as much of the good stuff out of the nuts as
possible. Then the mess is strained, and you gently heat the condensed
almond milk in a sauce pan or double boiler (agitating continually) until it
gets uncredibly thick. Almonds thicken like starch does, when grounds finely
in liquid and with applied heat. Let it cool and it gets even thicker.
Refrigerate, and it gets hard, like butter---but it does tend to weep a bit,
so be sure to drain it before serving.<
    >Aoife

    Oh cool!   I was thinking more about grinding the whole nut  until that
turns into "butter"  (like  peanuts).  I hadn't thought about the
possibility of a lighter spread of "almond (milk) butter"  Will have to try
this!

>   original message: I have yet to have the almonds become "butter"  tho,
the addition of water, and straining off the liquid  -- including the nuts'
oil  --  may have something to do with that.

    Caointiarn