SC - Period recipes for lavender?

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue May 30 21:10:19 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/30/00 7:14:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> Offhand, I can't think of any period recipes using lavender, but they're
>  a traditional part of the mixture known as Herbes de Provence (along
>  with parsley, chives, thyme and chervil, IIRC, or am I fusing Fines
>  Herbes with HdP? Balthazar? You're prolly closer than my French
cookbooks...)
> .

Master Adamantius, this is actually a tough question, because I have versions
of both herb mixtures, and both contain Lavender.  Spice Islands Herbes de
Provence contain Lavender blossoms fairly far down on the list, while the
Schilling Fines Herbes lists it as the third ingredient.  This would lead me
to believe that it is Fines Herbes which traditionally contains Lavender (I
do not believe that Lavender is actually a traditional ingredient in HdP, but
I will certainly check this out.)  My texts are currently in the trunk of my
car, and this is all from memory, so it may be faulty.  I'll get back to the
list.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Mr. Wizard, what happens when you combine pasta and antipasta?