SC - long pork

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Tue May 30 23:42:32 PDT 2000

Ras said:
>We know that certain Crusaders ate
>babies but we do not have specific instructions on how they were prepared.
><snip>...I would be glad to see some pre-1450 CE recipes for long pig but,
>SFAIK, >they do not exist.

Hello!  Here you go. ;-)

"...Sir, here is [besyde] a [grete] gyaunte of Gene that turmentyth thy
peple; mo than fyve hundred and many mo of oure chyldren, 'that hath bene
his sustynaunce all this seven wynters.' Yet is the sotte never cesid, but
in the contrey of Constantyne he hath kylled [and destroyed] all oure knave
chyldren..."

..."And now thou shalt fynde hym at souper with syx knave chyldirne, and
there he hath made 'pykyll and powder with many precious wynes,' and three
fayre maydens that turnys the broche..."

...Than he paste forth to the creste of the hylle 'and syghe where he sate
at his soupere alone' gnawyng on a lymme of a large man

...And three damesels turned brochis [spits], and thereon was twelve
chyldir but late borne, and they were broched in maner lyke birdis...

Sir Thomas Malory (c.1410 - 1471), Le Morte Darthur ( in the story 'Of King
Arthur and the Emperor Lucius')

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow
Author and Publisher of "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" and "A Sip Through Time"
http://www.thousandeggs.com
cindy at thousandeggs.com