SC - OT-SPICES/SMOKERS

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Mon May 1 18:43:37 PDT 2000

I don't know if any of these actually work, but various home helper hints
call for burning a brown paper bag, leaving open dishes of vinegar, etc.
About the only thing I ever found that really helped was repainting the
walls!  And ceilings!

I have tried that new product that you use to spray on smells.  It works.
 Nobody smokes, here, anymore, but the cat....well, it works.

Look for it in the cleaning aisle.  And shampoo the carpets--some
shampoos have odor removers.  If it's in the curtains, and they are
washable, add borax to the wash water, but dissolve it in hot water,
first.  Otherwise, you get white clumps and streaks on the laundry.  It
really does remove odors, though.  Sprinkling baking soda on carpets,
leaving overnight, then using the vacuum helps a little, too, depending
on the density of your carpet.

Cooking smells go away, but you could put a few assorted whole spices out
in a little dish, a la pot pourri, and see if it helps.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com