SC - Pleyn Delit et al-vinegar

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Mon May 1 21:15:50 PDT 2000

>.I also find several recipes, like in Platina and LeMenagier, that state
to use "verjuice or vinegar and a little must".  This type of wording
would suggest to me that the must is used to take the edge off of the
vinegar, humorally and/or flavorally.<<

I agree with that, niccolo, I just don't think that only a dash of
vinegar is too little in a number of foods.  Of course, we all go where
our brains lead us--so did they, with repeated assesrtions to please our
masters, or ourselves.  Sugar is another thing like the vinegar--I don't
think they want a flavor to be 'sweet' every time they call for sugar in
the spices.  That's a lot of the fun at the cooks' dinner at Pennsic,
tasting what is 'right' to each cook.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com