SC - an interesting challenge...and its even about medieval food! :)

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri May 5 11:47:08 PDT 2000

Eggplant
 This appeared in Tournaments Illuminated, no. 89, Winter A.S. XXIII, p.
27.
by Nige of the Cleftlands, with assistance from Mathilde Meyer.

Original: BERENGENAS EN CACUELA  [the second c has a cedilla above it,
but can't do it on juno]
Tomar berengenas y mondarlas dela corteza muy bie y cortarlas en tres o
quartro pedacos cada una: y cozer las en buen caldo de carnero co nv par
de cebollas...(Spanish)

68.  De alberginies en cassola
Albergines pendras e neteja-les de la escorca  e talla-les en tres o
quatre tocos cascuna.  E metles a coure ab bon brou de molto ab un parell
de cebes...

Our Translation:
Take eggplants and peel them well and cut them in 3 or 4 pieces each, and
cook them in good mutton broth with a pair of onion, and cook them until
they are well cooked; and being cooked, take them from the pan; and chop
them on a cutting board till they are very small; and then add good
grated Aragon cheese and some egg yolks.  And mince it all like the
stuffing for a kid, and add salsa fina, putting all of these spices into
the casserole, well mixed: ginger, mace, nutmeg, green coriander; and
parsley; then take the casserole to the oven.  and when it is cooked,
sprinkle it with sugar and cinnamon.

Salsa fina is a bit of a mystery, but as the spices listed immediately
afterwards are also referred to as salsa, they may be what is actually
intended.  ....snip
Sources
Libre del coch. Mestre Robert, Barcelona, 1977
Libro de guisados manjares y potages intitulado Libro de Cozina, Facsimil
de la edicion de Logrone, 1529. Rupert de Nola, Madrid: Ediciones
Guillermo Blasquez.
Test version prepared for Known World Heraldry Road Show.
What I did:
Sliced eggplant in half, longways.  Scooped out most of pulp, leaving a
little 'wall' with the skin.  Chopped the pulp, adding chopped onions,
and some minced cilantro and curley parsley.  Made lamb broth with a leg
of lamb bone saved for soup. [ We will have to buy lamb or mutton to do
this]  Added veggies to simmering lamb broth, cooked them.  Added grated
Muenster cheese as I was supposed to be preparing this in Germany.  Added
an egg or a yolk.  Added some of my powder douce, with home ground spices
from the Pepperar's Guild: nutmeg, mace, ginger, cinnamon, sugar.  [We
can make it without the cinnamon for the event].  Spooned the mix back
into the shells and baked in convection oven, 300*, until done. [I
forget].  Baking it in the shells gave it a sort of smoky taste, which we
liked.
APdeT
______________________________________

Rheinfrankisches Kochbuch, 1445

65.  Nimm Feigen, Rosinen und Honig, hacke alles zusammen klein und
mische es dabei untereinander, gib auch Gewürz und andere gute Zutaten
hinzu.  Fülle es in (ausgehöhlte) Äpfel und hefte diese jeweils mit einem
hölzernen Spießchen wieder zusammen.  Backe die gefüllten Äpfel in einem
Topf mit Weinin der Füllung (oder: in einem Teigmantel, der mit
Weinhergestellt wurde).  Dann wird es sehr wohlschmeckend.

Take figs, raisins and honey, chop them small, all together, give also
spices and other good ingredients [I used walnuts at Celtic Spring II].
Use as stuffing for cored apples, bake in wine/honey sauce.  Plump the
figs if using dried figs. Note: if using an apple corer/peeler/slicer,
you have the look of whole apples, but people can take just a little if
preferred.

Want any more?

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com