SC - Pomegranate seed

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun May 7 21:07:11 PDT 2000

dekmister at juno.com writes:

<< Do you know how to dry the seeds for future use?  We have 4 good
 sized Pomegranate bushes in our yard.  It would be nice not to have so
 many of the fruits go to waste.  Thanks! >>

There are 3 methods I have used with more or less success.

1) Remove the seeds from the pomegranate and using a sive press as much of
the pulp from them as possible. Rinse. And repeat as necessary. Spread on a
clean tray and leave in a warm dry place until thoroughly dried. This is the
preferred method for me.

2) Leave the entire fruit in a warm dry place until it hardens and dries.
Simply crack the rind and use the seeds.

3) Place the seeds on a tray and put them in your oven until thoroughly
dried. The pilot light in a gas oven will provide the heat for the drying
process.

Methods 2 and 3 yields the additional benefit of being able to make
pomegranate liquid from the seeds when they are soaked in water but neither
of these methods produce consistently good results, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Ras