SC -Coffee Soap

Magdalena magdlena at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 00:01:36 PDT 2000

DianaFiona at aol.com wrote:

>     OK, since this *isn't* the Herb list: does anyone recall seeing any
> recipes--medicinal or otherwise--for chamomile in period? I'm drawing a blank
> at the moment..........

>From Culpeper:

Chamomel flowers heat, discuss, loosen and rarify, boiled in Clysters, they are
excellent in the wind cholic, boiled in wine,
and the decoction drunk, purges the reins, break the stone, opens the pores, cast
out choleric humours, succours the heart, and
eases pains and aches, or stiffness coming by travelling.

http://www.bibliomania.com/NonFiction/Culpeper/Herbal/chap369.html

Also,

Syrupus de Absinthio simplex
                                    Or Syrup of Wormwood simple

    College : Take of the clarified Juice of common Wormwood, clarified Sugar, of
each four pounds, make it into a Syrup according to art. After the same manner,
are prepared simple Syrups of Betony, Borrage, Bugloss, Carduus, Chamomel,
Succory, Endive, Hedge-mustard, Strawberries, Fumitory, Ground Ivy, St. John's
Wort, Hops, Mercury, Mousear, Plantain, Apples, Purslain, Rasberries, Sage,
Scabious, Scordium, Houseleek, Colt's-foot, Paul's Bettony, and other Juices not
sour.

    Culpeper : See the simples, and then you may easily know both their virtues,
and also that they are pleasanter and fitter for
delicate stomachs when they are made into Syrups.

BTW,  Culpeper is one of the sources of documentation for cordials made with
spirits.

Tinctura Fragroram
                                     Or Tincture of Strawberries

    College : Take of ripe Wood-strawberries two pounds, put them in a phial, and
put so much small spirits of Wine to them, that it may overtop them the thickness
of four fingers, stop the vessel close, and set it in the sun two days, then
strain it, and
press it but gently; pour this spirit to as many fresh Strawberries, repeat this
six times, at last keep the clear liquor for your use.

    Culpeper : A fine thing for Gentlemen that have nothing else to do with their
money, and it will have a lovely look to please their eyes.

- -Magdalena