SC - Serving question

catwho at bellsouth.net catwho at bellsouth.net
Tue May 9 06:07:26 PDT 2000

>     We have a serious lack of serving vessels here, and so I try to do
> family service whenever possible - bring out a dish in the container in
> which it was cooked, set it down, and let the guests divvy it up. Makes
> portion control a whole lot easier, not to mention life for the servers. I
> tend to use no more than a dozen servers for a feast serving 250. Is that
> normal for everyone else?

I think that in period if a noble were to have a pot set in front of
him that he would be screaming for the steward or pantler's head!
Why such a shortage of serving apparati and servers?  I'm in a new
barony and it was made very clear at last night's meeting that if you
didn't sign to serve at feast and we were short on servers that you
would be yanked up from your seat to serve (hosting group's members
only mind you.)

The head table should have a minimum of 2 servers.  One for the
actual serving the other for clearing away refuse and for toting,
pouring drinks, etc.  In actuality you should run one servant for no
more than 2 at the most 3 tables.  And I have found that servants
make better for portion control if you show them what a portion is
supposed to look like.

You are serving FEAST.  That is a special meal.  Not a buffet.  Not a
family meal.  This is a festive occaission.  Even the evening meals
with family in noble households had servants that attended to their
every need.  Perhaps a "kitchen fundraiser" is in need in your
kingdom/group.  When a group hosts an event they are saying that they
are the servants for the event.  Hold your group members to that.

JMNSHO!

Now after reading through Boke on Kervynge (which is all about
servant's roles) I can tell you what you are supposed to do.  But I
should have the rest of it up by this afternoon and you can read it
for your self.

Melbrigda
There was som deceptyon or frawdulent
induction that hath made her to condescende
therunto

Visit my website at http://milkmama.tripod.com/sca.html