SC - Unhistoric things we serve WAS:Shepherds Pie

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Tue May 9 19:20:35 PDT 2000

From: DeeWolff at aol.com:
Meatloaf and mashed potatoes
Tacos
Bananas
Pickled hot peppers
Gazpacho
Vegetarian Soup with tomatoes, broccoli, and kale
German Potato Salad
Cold Cannon (boiled cabbage and potatoes)
Shortbread
Lasagna<<<<

Warning! Warning Will Robinson!  Andrea..... Bananas are
period dating back to pre-Roman times.  Hannibals army
were among the first Western Europeans to taste bananas.
The reference to a huge bunch of grapes so big in Exodus
in the Old Testement so large that two men carried it between
them on poles has fairly universally been accepted as a King
James mistranslation of a bunch of bananas.  They were grown
in the Canary Islands by the Portugese before the discovery of the
New World.   A number of items now grown so extensively in the
New World are actually Old World!  True, period bananas are not
similar to modern breeds you get at the Safeway, but they are
absolutely period!  To find recipes, you will need to look at early
Islamic and Judaic cookery (they will be hard to find I think).  Period
bananas look more like those stubby reddish ones you see on
ocassion in some larger stores.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"