SC - SC absinth again, was-Coffee Soap

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Tue May 9 19:49:44 PDT 2000

Margali writes:\
> [...]
just arent imported into america. I have had the original with
wormwood, and though interesting I just plain dont like the
bitter undertaste and probably wont drink it again.<<<<
The only country in the world in which absinthe is still legally
available is Spain.  Basically ALL wormwood based cordials
are completely illegal in the rest of the world!
The chemical constituents in the wormwood are very seriously
addictive and work on the central nervous system.  I made
a small batch and wrote a short paper for Meridies Kingdom
A&S a few years ago, growing all the required herbs or gathering
them from the wild.  A few brave souls have tried it in the traditional
manner on sugar with water added to see the colour change.  I
won't touch the stuff myself, but if any brave soul at Pennsic wants
to just sample a small taste just for the experience, I can bring a
dram or so.  However, the classic formula for absinthe is of dubious
period origin and is more likely post period.  Of course, wines were
adultrated with wormwood essences in Roman times and medieval,
but I do not recommend them for taste!!

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"