SC - pyes

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue May 9 20:22:21 PDT 2000

Leah Neumann wrote, re: saffron
>It just tastes ICKY?????  Maybe I don't use it right?
>This weekend was the third recipe I've tried it with
>and it seems alot of people don't like it.  I was just
>curious if there was something that can be used
>instead.

Hmmm, we have recently had several discussions about saffron on the list.

Generally, a recipe calls for a few threads of saffron placed in a
warm liquid until the color comes out, then the saffron strands are
removed and discarded. This lends a yellow color and subtle flavor to
food. You should barely be able to taste it.

In a previous "saffron" thread, Hauviette said:
>  ...I think you might have not had good saffron or maybe not enough or
>  maybe too much. I have found that the use of saffron should be done with
>  respect for the characteristics of the spice. I have found it to have a
>  buttery flavour, very round and fat. Maybe that's my tastebud's reaction
>  to the chemicals in the spice?

If *many* people are able to taste it and are objecting to the taste *perhaps*:

1.) you are putting in WAY too much saffron
- -- or --
2.) you are not removing the saffron strands from the liquid and
instead are mixing them into the dish
3.) you have safflower petals instead of saffron (crocus stamen).
These give a weaker color, and apparently a stronger flavor

While it is true that a few people don't care for the taste of
saffron, it is highly unlikely that if used correctly saffron will be
objected to by a *large number* of people. It is generally barely
noticeable. That's why i and others suspect you are using it wrong,
or have something that isn't saffron...

Anahita al-shazhiyya