SC - A New Challenge! help with Spanish medieval food, please

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed May 10 06:21:38 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 9 May 00,, that Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> oh goodie goodie goodie! we got someone to ask us to start planning for
> next springs baronial banquet NOW as opposed to six weeks before, and they
> want all medieval food, and they want SPANISH stuff.
[snip]
> now, who can tell me about fun sources we can play with?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... sure, I know a bunch of
them.  Do you read Spanish?

If not, there is a fair amount in the Florilegium, though it is scattered
throughout the appropriate files.  Recipes for fish are in the fish file, etc.
In addition to stuff I've translated from de Nola and Granado, I've seen
recipes from the Catalan sources, and some from the 1607 "Arte de
Cozina".  Santich is the only published source I know of for translated
period Spanish recipes.  There is also "A Drizzle of Honey", which
reconstructs the cuisine of the Spanish crypto-Jews, but the recipes are
educated guesses, based on descriptions of Jewish dishes.

If you have questions about specifics, or are looking for specific kinds of
recipes, let me know, and I'll answer if I can.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net