SC - OT Vegetarian Vampires (was Absinthe)

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu May 11 18:06:35 PDT 2000

lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:

> >What DO vegetarian vampires eat anyway?  Synthetic blood replacement?
> >
> >Etain (who is a "vampire" - not a Goth- in RL, but we won't go there......)
>
> Well, i don't know, although i do have vegetarian Goth friends. So,
> to get further off topic, anyone used to be a fan of "Forever
> Knight"? A police detective in Toronto, Nick Knight generally got his
> from the blood bank. In one rather amusing episode he was
> investigating murders among an AA group and tried to kick his habit
> of drinking blood.

I kinda liked Yarbro's Comte de Saint-Germain, myself...

> How can i get this back on topic?
>
> Uh, ok, in Indonesia and the Philippines blood is often collected
> from animals when they are slaughtered and included in the cooking of
> certain dishes, for example, in Pilipino dinaguan and Batak saksang.
> Do we have many European recipes from "SCA period" that include blood
> as an ingredient in dishes besides "blood sausage"?

Oh, yeah, big time. Lots of pottages are thickened with blood,
especially some hochepot and nearly all chaudun recipes. Look in any of
the 14th-century English sources and you'll find something almost immediately.

And yes, there are the various black puddings, a recipe for same
appearing in le Menagier.

And last, but not least, there's the Irish dish known as drisheen, a
specialty of Cork, IIRC, which I can't document as period, but which
seems stylistically more like Viking food than Irish, so it may have
been introduced by those lovable Dubliners from The Auld Sod... the dish
itself is a sort of blood pudding steamed in a pan, rather than in a
casing, and IIRC it contains sheep's blood and cream, among other
ingredients, but has a higher proportion of blood to other ingredients
in it than most black puddings. I have a recipe someplace...

Adamantius, who almost bought some cooked duck blood this evening, to
cube and saute with scallions, but some smartmouth kid objected...
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com