SC - Unhistoric breakfasts

allilyn at juno.com allilyn at juno.com
Fri May 12 01:15:04 PDT 2000

>>Is there any reason to believe these were considered appropriate
breakfast foods, other than that they are considered so now?<<

I've not seen any reference to these as food appropriate for breakfast.
Nevertheless, NOT being a morning person, I relish them, and a good mug
of tea, when modern events produce them.  I have seen references to Q.
Elizabeth having ale for her breakfast--no food, unless a bit of
bread--and I am not going to be friendly to anyone who shoves a mug of
beer in my face at dawn.

The period sources don't seem to have the organizational process of
dividing foods by the appropriate times to eat them, until we get to the
banquets of late period.  Certain recipes, here and there, may say of one
recipe that it is appropriate for a reresoper, or something, but there
isn't a Better Homes and Castles Luncheon Dishes, etc.  I'd bet on
pottage, porridge, bread, ale, and left-overs as being the most often
eaten foods in the morning.

Don't remember which reference, but Germans began to eat as many as 5-6
meals per day.  Nuremburg was one place, I think.  Certain dishes began,
in the 16th C., to be considered appropriate.  Weissewurst, a small,
white sausage, is only eaten before noon, I think.  If it isn't all
finished, it is thrown out.  Made of fresh veal, with no preservatives,
IIRC.  You can actually find it in the evening, as late as 12 years ago,
but they were disapproving of our eating it.  The German breakfast today
is usually bread, cheeses, cold cuts, jam and spreads like Nutella
[choclate hazlenut paste].

These multiple meals were much smaller than the feasts we do, and the
many egg dishes would be quite appropriate for a mid-morning dish, or for
supper, as would crepe or pancake dishes.

I don't want fish for breakfast, either.  'Specially, cold fish.

Regards,
Allison,     allilyn at juno.com