SC - Books

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun May 14 19:52:16 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/13/00 12:53:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> wpmay at hotmail.com writes:
>
> <<  Is there any one on the list interested
>       in a copy of The Viviander(sp?) my local B&N  ended up
>        getting 2 when they orderd mine,it would be available
>        for cost,i would cover shipping. >>
>
> The Viandier is available in Caraidoc's Collection. However, a description of
> the book you are talking about including reasons why buying a separate
> edition at  a higher price would be a good thing might spur my personal
> interest. :-)
>
> Ras

My bet is that the gentle is speaking of The Vivendier, which is
somewhat different, although possibly descended from The Viandier, which
may or may not be written by Taillevent anyway.

The Vivendier was recently published in an edition by Terence Scully of
a 15th-century (I seem to recall) German manuscript, written in French.
It has some interesting stuff in it, including some unusual (compared to
the rest of the known medieval recipe corpus) pasta recipes, as I recall.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com