SC - Lard

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Sun May 14 22:25:11 PDT 2000

Maredudd begins:

>I'll use lard in preference to butter (unless the recipe calls for butter)
>for the reasons cited by Niccolo, and because lard is somewhat better for us
>than butter.

and then states some interesting dietary info about lard.

Thanks for quoting the particulars; I _knew_ I'd heard that lard was better than
butter in terms of diet.

With that in mind, I'll agree that lard makes wonderfully flaky pastry. It,
however, makes a terrible crust for a free standing tall coffin shape. You look
at it funny and you have a pile of flakes. Don't even think about trying to cut
through it.

What I'd like to know is what type of pastry would work best for a free standing
coffin? Or would a dough be a better idea?

Cedrin
Princess Oertha