SC - Eggs graven with Vinegar

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Mon May 15 21:14:25 PDT 2000

Ras chided:

> This is inaccurate. Vinegar making was and is accomplished with specific
> microorganisms which are bacterial forms instead of yeast forms. Spoiled
wine
> and ale is just spoiled. It tastes nothing like vinegar and can and does
make
> you ill.
>
> I would be interested in learning where you got the information that
period
> vinegar was spoiled food. Thanks in advance.

>From some references on old wine having "gone to vinegar."  I can try
finding them if you like, but it won't be this week (coauthoring a
professional paper and getting ready for a mad session at West Collegium).
Probably they could not figure out how necessarily it happened.  I know
there is "mother of vinegar" which may be one of those bacterial clumps,
used to start the vinegar.  And my Etymological OED version talks of vinegar
as being produced by a form of fermentation ("acetous").

                                    ---= Morgan