SC - help with Elizabethan feasts plans Requested

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue May 16 06:54:49 PDT 2000

BJ,
The following is a list of books that I have used to get ideas and recipes from
for my Elizabethan feasts.  I hope you find it useful.

The Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Opened, ed. Stevenson & Davidson, Prospect Books,
1997

Epulario, or The Italian Banquet.  Falconwood Press, copyright 1990, Susan Evans

The Accomplished Cook by Robert May, Prospect Books, 2000

Elinor Fettiplace's Receipt Book by Hilary Spurling, Viking Penguin, 1986.

Dining with William Shakespeare by Madge Lorwin, Ateneum, 1976.  This one's out
of print, so you may have to try a college or university library.

A Taste of History.  by Peter Brears, et al. British Museum Press, 1993

All the King's Cooks by Peter Brears, Souvenir Press, 1999.

Fooles and Fricassees.  Catalogue of the exhibit of the same name, from the
exhibit at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, DC.

Most of the above books can be obtained from Devra, through her Poison Pen
Press.  However, as I indicated above, the Dining with William Shakespeare is no
longer available.  I got mine through a book search by the Haunted Bookshop.  The
last one can be obtained by contacting the Folger Library bookshop.  I also
believe that Acanthus Press has a number of booklets that deal with many
different aspects of Elizabethan foodways.

The menu I served is as follows:

NIGHT ON THE TOWN—BARONIAL INVESTITURE

MENU

APPETIZER COURSE

Mortis (Sweet Chicken Pate)
Sodde Egges (Eggs with Mustard Sauce)
Pickled Mushrooms
A Carrot Sallad
Bread and Butter

*********

FIRST COURSE

Roast Fillet of Beef
Lumbardy Tarts
Grand Sallet

*********

SECOND COURSE

Brawn of Pork with Mustard Sauce
Stewed Potatoes
Buttered Colle-floure
Escudilla de Esparragos Silvesteres
Domesticos
  (A Dish of Wild or Cultivated Asparagus)

*********

DESSERT TABLE

Biskets of Almons          Shewsbury Cakes
Shellbread          Gumballs
 Strawberries

The recipes for all of these are in the Dining with Wm Shakespeare, Fooles &
Fricassees and A Taste of History.  If you want, I can send these to you
privately if you can't get these books.

Good luck in your endeavor!

Kiri