SC - SC: Gravy Making

Bethany Public Library betpulib at ptdprolog.net
Mon May 15 20:31:55 PDT 2000

Isn't there an Apecian roux? Or am i thinking of the BAD translation
(Vehling). Drat, the books are at home. Wonder if they'd let me keep a nifty
period-cookbook shelf here at the library.........

Aoife

The earliest thing I have found to date is to thicken a broth or pan juices
with
bread crumbs.  I haven't seen the use of flour to do this until quite
late...but
then I'm sure I haven't seen it all!!!  Usually the recipe has you add the
crumbs to the liquid, then, once it's all cooked together, strain it through
cloth to get the clumps out.  It works very well, I've found.

Kiri