SC - Emeril on medieval cooking

Adler, Chris Chris.Adler at westgroup.com
Tue May 16 13:22:11 PDT 2000

Did anyone else catch the Emeril Live show on medieval food on Sunday night?

I tuned in late, but it appeared that he had some guests from Medieval
Times. About half of what he was saying was fairly correct and didn't
mislead the audience too badly, although he had some really groaning flubs.
(He used allspice and paprika in one dish and a potato-flour slurry to
thicken something, but correctly used eggs and bread crumbs to thicken
another dish. I don't recall it exactly, but his description of medieval
dining practices made me wince.)

The potage recipe came from the Mallinkrodt translation of Platina; the
bread recipes came from Black's The Medieval Cookbook; and the "Maid of
Honor cakes" came from Dutton's Good Fare and Cheers of Old England. (Anyone
know this book???)

I was spazzing over his culinary mistakes, while my lord, who is a fencer,
was freaking over the Medieval Times performers doing **draw cuts** with
broadswords... Sigh.

Katja