SC -making vinegar

Karen O kareno at lewistown.net
Tue May 16 16:00:58 PDT 2000

>They knew how it happened, they just couldn't stop it. Neither can we
without stringent sanitation, which is why you have a pickle crock and a
brewing crock and never the twain will meet if you're smart. Some people
don't even have their vinegar mother working in the same room as their wines
and beer, and some people won't have it in their house at all.

>Vinegar can be made from any dilute alcohol, which makes wine and beer
ideal for the purpose. we keep the vessels we make said potables in sealed
to prevent contamination form the air and fruit fly like creatures we refer
to as "vinegar flies" from getting to our brew and infecting it with acetic
acid bacteria.

>Corwyn

        So, if I want to make some (a little)   wine vinegar for a particulr
recipe,  I can just mix some of  the wine I would like to use with distilled
vinegar, and let it sit  "a while?"

    My thinking is in a closed canning jar  overnight.

    Caointiarn