SC - Recipes for Emeril Live: #EM1D04: Medieval Cuisine

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu May 18 12:09:03 PDT 2000

>Is this actually off the FoodTV website??  Because the recipe above is
>word for word the translation in the Miscellany, followed word for word by
>Cariadoc and Elizabeth's redaction (except for the line about pewter
>bowls).  Identical.  Ingredients, quantities, instructions, everything.
>

>Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
>Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
>mka Robin Carroll-Mann
>harper at idt.net

Brighid sent me email about this, and I called the people
responsible. They were very apologetic and say they will correct the
web page. I gather from these posts that the TV show has already
happened--but presumably that didn't include the actual recipe, so
although the author was free riding on our work (which, after all, is
what it is there for), he wasn't violating our copyright. And I doubt
it would have been appropriate to credit the source on the air,
although since I don't know the show I could be wrong about that.

The most serious problem with the web site version is that it runs
together Platina's original recipe (correctly credited) and our
worked out version (not credited), so that the reader won't realize
they are two different things, and will presumably assume that
Platina provided times, quantities, etc.

David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University
ddfr at best.com