SC - finally! A baking success! and re: honey butter

Donna Ford evfemia at mail.com
Sat May 20 19:58:17 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/19/00 2:50:19 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
> kelan at mindspring.com writes:
>
> > Seriously does yeast just not like some people?  Is bread like gardening?
> >  I don't think I'm the only one who can't get a ball of dough to do anything
> >  but mock my wishes for it to rise.
>
> Yeast just doesn't like _you_!  :)

Evfemia here.  I may be new to medieval cooking, but I have quite a lot
of experience making homemade bread.  The key is the temperature of the
water you proof the yeast in.  When I made a recipe at home that makes
three loaves of bread, I generally heat 2 cups of water in the microwave
on high for 1 minute. The water must be warm to the touch when you put
your finger in it, but not so warm that it is truly uncomfortable.  That
is the best hint I can give you.

Also make sure that your yeast is in date.

Evfemia at mail.com
Barony of Iron Mtn, Meridies