SC - OUEEN'S PUDDING - prob'ly OOP

Lee-Gwen Booth piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Sun May 21 09:39:19 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Phillipa

> Someone just asked me what Queen's Pudding is.  I couldn't find any
recipes
> for it in any of my books.  I know it is a British dish.  Can anyone tell
me
> what's in it or give a recipe?

I am guessing that the recipe is Queen of Puddings (I have also seen it
called Queen's Pudding).  Here is a recipe for it (can't vouch for the
recipe, I have never made it).

2 oz breadcrumbs
1/2 pint milk
3/4 oz butter
2 oz caster sugar
1 egg
jam

Heat milk and butter in a saucepan until almost boiling point and pour over
crumbs, adding half the sugar.  Stir and leave for 20 min. or so.  Separate
egg, beat yolk with a teaspoonful cold water and add to crumb mixture.  Pour
into a greased pie-dish and back in moderate oven for about 20 min.

Whisk white of egg stiffly [which brings to mind a soldier standing at
attention while whisking eggs!], then fold in remaining sugar.  Spread a
little jam over the top of baked crumbs etc. and pile meringue mixture on
top, spreading roughly.  Return dish to oven, lowering heat a little, and
leave until lightly browned on top.

Gwynydd (who has more than her fair share of oldish English cookbooks)