SC - RE:SC- Brizzare Hobby-NOT! OT

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon May 22 07:15:52 PDT 2000

    Yes, heraldically, at least, we seem to have a very good reputation,
especially after Da'aud decided that we were no longer going to protect the
entire universe of Armory, real and imagined. When I was Lymphad
(submissions) herald for Trimaris, I had some submissions returned for
conflicts with imaginary (and extremely obscure) Sci-fi/fantasy/D&D
characters. Needless to say, I was just a tad miffed. I sent out an open
letter questioning this (in my own inimitable style), and got leapt upon by
the entire College for daring to question the wisdom of the ancients.
    The gist of the arguments in favor of protecting everything, once you
got past the sophistries, was that in the UK, a SCAdian could be imprisoned
for simply displaying his SCA Arms. And that the SCA could be sued by said
imprisoned person for misleading them, etc. Therefore, to avoid this, we had
to be free of conflict with EVERYTHING. Yes, I know, but I'm just relaying
the argument.
    I then had the extreme bad manners to contact Norrey, Blue Mantle, and a
couple of other mundane heralds, inquiring of their policies regarding this
matter. I did NOT mention the SCA, and kept the description of the situation
rather generic. They were all kind enough to write back, saying that as long
as we didn't erect permanent monuments (so to speak) with our Arms
inscribed, they really couldn't care less. As far as they were concerned, it
would be the same as if we were a troupe of actors. As one put it, they
weren't going to arrest an actor for saying he was Henry V.
    Three of them also included personal notes, asking if this was in
reference to the SCA, which rather surprised me, as I hadn't brought the
Society up at all. I corresponded with a couple for a bit; they had a rather
positive view of the Society, but were rather amused that we took ourselves
so seriously. They simply regarded us as a harmless troupe of re-enactors,
generally fun, but inclined to be a bit pedantic at times. And BTW, when a
mundane Herald tells you you're pedantic, you're REALLY pedantic!
    As I was leaving office, I forwarded these letters to the College, and
it was like a bomb went off! Oh, my god, was I EVER glad to be out of
office!!!! It was like an airborne battalion of foxes just dropped into a
chicken ranch. But I was gone, so it wasn't MY problem any more . . .
    However, even in death my power to annoy remained undiminished! Da'aud
used my letters to support The Bombshell, the decree to establish a codex of
protected armory and ignore the rest of it all. Heh, heh. As a result, it
became MUCH easier to get Arms registered.
    The really amusing part came a few years later; just before I took over
as Triskele Herald, I went to Pennsic, and (of course) worked the help table
there. After a bit it came out that it was I who had submitted the letters
that Da'aud had used to support the Bombshell, and boy, was my name mud
after that! A few Heralds were very appreciative that my efforts had
resulted in a massive reduction of their workload, but most of the others
looked at me like I had just pissed in the kiddy pool. Oh, well, we all have
our cross to bear . . .

    Sieggy

> Akim wrote:
>
> I do know for a fact that the prestigious British College of Arms is very
well
> acquainted with our work in heraldry and regards us very seriously.  One
of our
> senior heralds in Meridies was offered a job by the Lion King of Arms
himself
> some years back.
>
> I can also add that the Norroy Ulster King of Arms actually attended a
College
> of Arms symposium some years back as a guest of honor, and was quite
> complimentary of our work...I know 'cause I autocratted the event (I was
Triton
> PH for Atlantia at the time).
>
> I can also add to what others have said that a good friend here in
Atlantia, one
> of the first around here to make steel armor, was hired by the Tower of
London