SC - FW: Spices Used as a Form of Currency?

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon May 22 18:43:41 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 2:48:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mermayde at juno.com writes:

<< Does anyone out there know how to find out if Arab
 merchants used spices as a form of currency as well as a tradable
 commodity? >>

I am unsure myself. I know that Master Adamantius' student, Puck, was
researching the area of trade in the middle ages extensively a while back but
have not heard any results of that research lately. He was trying to find
shipping manifests and other documents. Although his focus was on non-Middle
eastern traders, I am sure he covered all areas with equal interest. Puck,
have you progressed in this area to a point where any basic conclusions can
be drawn?

Personally, I would assume that middle eastern and Andalusian traders were
far more interested in gold, silver and jewels rather than having people pay
them back with the spices they provided in the first place. :-)

al-Sayiid A'aql ibn Rashid al-Zib