SC - authenticity

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon May 22 21:00:43 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 1:49:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ekoogler at chesapeake.net writes:

> << He also indicated that the Marsala I mentioned in a previous message
dated
>  >  about 1770 and is a fortified wine!
>  >

This is true.  Marsala is not period, and consumption of it has, sadly,
declined in recent years (relegating it, in most cases, to that pitiful
category of "cooking wines.')
Marsala was "invented in 1770 when John Woodhouse added 8 1/2 gallons of
"grape spirit" to about 105 gallons of a local (Marsala) wine (this according
to the Oxford Companion to Wine).  I assume it was in answer to some of the
wonderful ports and sherries available from Spain during that time.

A good Marsala has a very nice, creamy, nutty flavor when sipped slightly
warm, reminiscent of sherry or (in rare cases) Grand Marnier.  It is
unfortunate, in my opinion, that consumption has dropped so drastically in
modern times, as I enjoy it immensely, and would love to see a good,
reputable "Marsala House" in operation again.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt