SC - Ice

Elysant at aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Mon May 22 21:07:57 PDT 2000

- -Poster: <Elysant at aol.com>

 << One quick question:  Does anyone on the list have any references to how
  medieval cooks kept things cold, since the invention of the refrigerator
was
  not to come about for many, many, many years?   >>

Aside from ice houses and ice keeping things cold , , I know up until I was a
teen, when we got our first refrigerator, we used a marble shelf in a pantry
to keep things like dairy products and meats cool enough not to "go off".

The coldness of the marble keeps the food cool quite effectively.  Milk
bottles were kept in jugs of cold water on the marble shelf, with the water
changed from time to time.  I don't know how old this "marble" practice is...

Elysant