SC - fortified wines

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon May 22 21:28:17 PDT 2000

In a message dated 5/22/00 9:06:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes:

> So, what exactly is a fortified wine? I know it is one in which the
>  alcohol content has been enhanced, but it is done by adding a distilled
>  alcohol to it? If so, what is generally used? Or is it done by partially
>  distilling the wine itself?

A Fortified wine is any wine to which a distilled spirit has been added (most
commonly Brandy, I believe), and in a number of cases, additional sugar is
added as well (though I have heard references to houses which add the brandy
early enough in the fermentation process to kill off the yeast before it
ferments all of the sugar.)  I would love to know of any other spirits
commonly added to wine to make fortify them.

By the way, I have also read that the original fortification practice was
done to increase the shelf life of the wine, making distant travel by land or
sea "safer" for the wine.  Any referrence to support/refute this?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Complacency Breeds Contempt