SC - Aha! Sundry bits from the resources

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu May 25 22:48:40 PDT 2000

Yes, a number of books giving the layouts of monestaries show the layout
of the water courses. They spent quite a lot of time building these artifical
water courses and you will invariably find that the toilets are pretty much
the last stop as the water leaves the monestary. They would also keep other
chores that dirtied the water to the last. I can't remember which things
these were, but leather tanning and cloth dyeing was often required to be
done only in certain quarters of towns for the same reasons.

Many monestaries were built on wasteland reclaimed from swamps and marshland.
The landscaping and terrain modifying done is often fantastic, particularly
considering the equipment they had to work with. While I find it difficult
to understand their religous beliefs and how they believed them, I have
admire their perseverance and ingenuity.

Stefan

> We saw a piece on a scottish cathedral/monestary on 'The Dirt Detective' a
> couple of weeks ago, and that's how they did it.
>
> Glenda.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net